On 20th June 1883 seven young men met at a house in Sale to draw up the rules for a new club - Brooklands Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club. A plot of land was rented from the Brooks family estate (the area's largest landowner) and work began to get the club up and running.
In 1889 a Hockey club was added for existing members. By now there were two pavilions - one for men and one for ladies.
The Pavillion (pre 1914)
In 1904 the first annual Brooklands Open Lawn Tennis Tournament was held and this popular event continued until 1970 when it was discontinued on grounds of cost.
Brooklands Open Tennis 1922
In 1911 a severe drought left the ground in very poor condition. By then a crown green bowling green had been added to the club's list of facilities and more land acquired. Fishing was permitted in two ponds on the grounds (where some of the tennis courts are now located. Lacrosse was played for several years beginning in 1918.
The name of the club was changed to Brooklands Cricket, Lawn Tennis and Hockey Club in 1922
The cricket team in 1927
In 1924 a new pavilion was built for both gentlemen and ladies.
Most of the club's present 13 acres of land was finally purchased from the Brooks estate in 1937 and the final piece was donated in the 1960s.
The first two squash courts were opened in 1976 with two more completed in 1980. It was around this time that the club decided to trade under the name of Brooklands Sports Club in order to embrace the squash and bowls sections.
The all-weather hockey pitch was opened in time for the 1991-2 season together with the first three of the ten all-weather tennis courts the club has today.
All weather hockey pitch and old clubhouse (1998)
In 1993, lacrosse came to Brooklands once more with the move of Hulmeans Lacrosse Club from Whalley Range to become Brooklands Hulmeans. By now, however, the old pavilion was beginning to get tired and in 1999 a lease was granted to a fitness company to build a new centre which would include changing and bar facilities for Brooklands Sports Club members.
Inside the clubhouse in the 1970s
And in 1997
The fitness club, which opened on 2nd January 2000, is a separate business.
In 2016, the Club replaced the original, sand-based astroturf pitch with a new, water-based pitch to bring it up to par with the best hockey facilities in the country.